Planning your holiday trip to Cologne Christmas Market but unsure about the perfect place to stay? It's a common struggle for travelers. With over seven distinct markets spread across the city, choosing a convenient hotel can be challenging.
This article breaks down top-rated hotels situated near each market, saving you both time and stress in finding the ideal accommodation. Ready? Let's explore some great places to stay in this vibrant German city!
Top Picks for Hotels Near Cologne Christmas Markets
Where are Cologne Christmas Markets?
With the exception of Stadtgarten Christmas Market, the other Christmas Markets are clustered in 2 main areas - the Old Town area and the Neumarkt area.
Hence, our recommendations are focused on hotels in these 2 areas.
Cologne Cathedral Christmas Market
Literally beside the iconic Cologne Cathedral, the Cologne Cathedral Christmas Market boasts over 150 stalls.
Most people coming to Cologne flock to this market as it's considered the most popular and well-known. Set against the stunning backdrop of the Cologne Cathedral, it's a magical experience.
The little red-roofs of the stalls and the magnificent Christmas tree also adds to the festive atmosphere.
You can expect rows of charming stalls selling all sorts of holiday goodies – from handcrafted gifts to delicious food.
Plus, you can go ice skating right in front of the cathedral, which is pretty special.
The House Elves’ Winter Fairytale Christmas Market (Heinzels Wintermärchen)
The House Elves' Winter Fairytale Christmas Market has long held its place in the heart of Cologne's Old Town. A favorite among locals, it stands out with its charming theme centered around the city's beloved Heinzelmännchen or house elves!
Along with the rustic wooden stalls, a mini Ferris wheel and cobblestone streets, this creates quite an enchanting atmosphere.
What's also cool is that they have a large ice-skating rink, if you want to do more than just shop and eat!
The Angels’ Christmas Market (Markt der Engel)
It's the oldest Christmas market in Cologne, also known as Markt der Engel, holds a spot on Neumarkt.
What makes it unique are the angels, and I'm not referring to mere statues! The reading sessions with an angel is a favorite among children, and you'll be wowed by the angels walking on silts.
Heavenue Cologne – the Gay Christmas Market
Each of the Christmas markets in Cologne has a unique theme, and Heavenue Cologne is the market for gays, lesbians and friends of the LGBTQ community.
It's one of the most unique Christmas markets in the city. In fact, it looks different from your traditional market, with LED lights, pop art-style huts, and glitzy stage shows.
Note: Heavenue usually takes place on the grounds of the Sparkasse near Rudolfplatz in Cologne. However, it's been reported that they have cancelled the 2023 event.
Nicholas’ Village Christmas Market
Often called the "Medieval Market", Nicholas' Village is nestled beneath the Hahnentorburg (Hahnen Gate), a 13th-century relic from Cologne's medieval past.
This scenic market is found on Rudolfplatz square in Cologne. Its quaint half-timber houses give it a picturesque, Alpine village-like appearance, and the Advent calendar and stalls selling candy floss create a flurry amongst the little ones.
Cologne Harbour Christmas Market
Located a stone's throw from the Chocolate Museum at the harbour along the Rhine is the Cologne Harbour Christmas Market.
The maritime theme is everywhere - from the shanty songs and wooden plank floors, and a giant three-mast ship. Families will appreciate the children's play boats and "Rhine Pirates" who juggle.
Stadtgarten Christmas Market
“Treat yourself to a special time!” That's the tagline of the Christmas market in the City Garden (also Stadtgarten), near the hipster district called Belgian Quarter.
The charm of this Christmas Market might be that you rarely see tourists here, given that it's situated further from the other Christmas markets.
Top Hotels Near Cologne Christmas Market
- Best Overall: Excelsior Hotel Ernst am Dom
- Best Value Hotel: Steigenberger Hotel Köln
- Best Value Apartment: City Apartments in Köln am Rheingarten
- Best Budget Motel: Motel One Köln-Neumarkt
- Best for Families: Park Avenue Apartments
- Best for Culture: CityClass Hotel Europa am Dom
- Best for Shopping: Eden Hotel Früh am Dom
- Best for Old Market: CityClass Hotel Alter Markt
- Best Contemporary Hotel: Hotel Mondial am Dom
- Best Boutique Hotel: MAISON MARSIL - Boutique Hotel Köln
1. Excelsior Hotel Ernst am Dom
Opposite the Cologne Cathedral Christmas Market, and within walking distance to the House Elves’ Fairytale Christmas Market (11 mins) and Cologne Harbor Christmas Market (20 mins).
- A leading 5-star accommodation, with an impeccable reputation for service and grandeur
- Dine at two Michelin-recommended restaurants, Taku and Hanse Stube
- Child-friendly; babysitter service, children classes, and complimentary kids' bath essentials
- Enjoy a diverse range of amenities including spa, fitness center, and concierge service
Its prime location is unbeatable for exploring Cologne - situated directly across from the Cologne Cathedral, and just a 6 min walk from Cologne Main Station.
Some might say the Excelsior Hotel Ernst is in need of a serious overhaul, but I believe its elegant furnishing and historical decoration is part of the charm.
That goes for its high level of service too - from the moment you enter, you'll feel welcome and well-cared for. A Michelin-star chef heads up Taku restaurant, serving East Asian gourmet cuisine, and Hanse Stube delights with innovative French dishes.
But when discussing where to stay in Cologne to see the Christmas markets - location is key. And that's why Excelsior Hotel Ernst is our top recommendation.
It's literally on the doorstep of the biggest, most popular Christmas market in Cologne - the Cathedral Christmas Market. Do ask for a Cathedral view for your room if you can, so you can see the Cologne Christmas Market in all its glittering glory.
If you were to take a stroll along the Rhine, you'll soon reach the House Elves’ Fairytale Christmas Market (Heinzels Wintermärchen), another famous Christmas market.
Down a little further, next to the Chocolate Museum, is the Cologne Harbor Christmas Market.
The Excelsior Hotel Ernst's proximity to these markets and its top-notch reputation make it the perfect choice for your stay in Cologne.
- Spend your Christmas holiday in luxury and ease
- Convenient location across from Cologne Cathedral and a short walk from the main station
- Save time traveling to the most popular Christmas markets in Cologne, thanks their proximity
- Live large in their spacious rooms, even in the city center
- Dine at award-winning restaurants, Taku (Michelin-starred) and Hanse Stube
- Amazing range of amenities, such as free WiFi, gym, saunas, live piano music in the Piano Bar & children's amenities
- Pricier rooms may not be suitable for those on a smaller budget
- Furnishings may seem outdated, compared to newer hotels
- Some guests have reported issues with noise from nearby construction or street traffic
Excelsior Hotel Ernst am Dom Review
Location is great and in the center just facing the cathedral. Very warm and cozy, staff were very sweet, helpful, polite, helpful professional & welcoming. Breakfast was very tasty. Room was very beautiful, clean with very comfortable bed, I was touched by celebrating my birthday with a sweet and tasty welcome. I left with great memories and a promise to come back to such wonderful place.
- Prem Prasoon
2. Steigenberger Hotel Köln
Near Heavenue Christmas Market and Nicholas’ Village Christmas Market, and walking distance to The Angels’ Christmas Market (10 mins) and Stadtgarten Christmas Market (12 mins).
- Modern 4-star hotel in Rudolfplatz, and a few steps to the hip & trendy neighborhood, the Belgian Quarter
- Conveniently travel on foot to top attractions & cozy alternative Christmas markets, or take the subway across the street
- Spacious, comfortable rooms great for families or groups, without sacrificing comfort
- One of the more budget-friendly quality hotels in the area (practically a steal!)
Set in Rudolfplatz, the recently renovated Steigenberger Hotel Köln serves as the perfect launchpad for an exploration of the Belgian Quarter, one of Cologne's trendiest areas.
The hotel also has an exceptionally convenient location with the Rudolfplatz station, a nearby Lidl supermarket, and a pharmacy just a stone's throw away.
This is a strategic position, which offers easy access to four of Cologne's alternative Christmas markets:
Within a mere 10-minute walk, you can discover the enchanting Nicholas’ Village Christmas Market, the delightful Stadtgarten Christmas Market, the unique Heavenue, and The Angels’ Christmas Market.
Venture a bit further, and you'll find yourself in the heart of Cologne, where the Cologne Cathedral stands tall. This is the Old Town, and home to the local's cherished pubs and restaurants.
What really stands out is the breakfast at Sands restaurant. Guests are treated to a sumptuous breakfast featuring local and continental dishes. If you're lucky to snag a window table, you can enjoy a picturesque view of the city.
For families, the hotel offers spacious rooms with the convenience of a sofa bed. This makes it easy for families with children (or groups) to share the room without sacrificing space or comfort!
- Not too near, nor too far. A delightful reprieve from the tourist-heavy areas, but close enough to be visited on foot
- One of the best value-for-money hotels in Cologne
- Enjoy a more authentic, off-the-beaten-path experience at the hipster Belgium Quarter
- Explore more of the less-crowded Christmas markets, which are equally (if not more) charming
- Convenient underground parking next to the hotel
- The bar is only opened on Fridays and Saturdays, which can be disappointing if you wanted a quick drink to end the day
- Sounds from the streets and subway may be audible from lower floors. Light sleepers should request a higher floor
Steigenberger Hotel Köln Review
Nice hotel in Cologne that is well located within the city center. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The breakfast is very diverse and you can definitely find whatever you want for the meal plus you can take a drink to go. The hotel also has a small convenience store in the main lobby, where you can buy stuff 24/7. Hotel staff is nice and responsive.
- Tomás Fonseca
3. City Apartments in Köln am Rheingarten
Near Cologne Cathedral Christmas Market and House Elves’ Fairytale Christmas Market, and walking distance to Cologne Harbour Christmas Market (14 mins) and The Angels’ Christmas Market (20 mins).
- Situated right on the banks of the Rhine, you can wake up to the mesmerizing sight of the river, and take scenic strolls at the riverside
- Great value for money with affordable rates, good for those on a budget but want a decent accommodation
- Well-maintained and clean apartments, with helpful staff described as "exceptionally friendly"
- Central location puts you at the heart of the city's nightlife, within walking distance to almost every attraction
It's hard to beat the location City Apartments in Köln am Rheingarten offers. You're right by the river, which makes for some really beautiful views out your window.
Plus, it's a stone's throw from all the happening restaurants and the charming old town. Hundreds of bars, cafes, and restaurants are literally outside your door, putting you in the heart of the city's nightlife.
Not to mention, you're within a 10-minute walk of the main train station and the famous Cologne Cathedral. If you're here during the holiday season, you're smack in the middle of two major Christmas markets.
The apartments are pretty modern. There's a small kitchenette, but it's more for making a cup of tea than whipping up a meal. But don't fret, just give the restaurant a shout, and they'll sort you out with some crockery.
Oh, one thing to note, the elevator is on the small side, so don't be surprised if it's a bit tight.
The staff here are friendly and helpful. When we visited, the lift was out of order, but they were super kind and carried our bags up to our room.
Some rooms have air conditioning, some don't. It's a bit of a luck-of-the-draw situation. However, it shouldn't matter much in the winter. Just be aware, it can get a tad noisy outside if you open the window.
If you're into culture, you're in luck. City Apartments are just 500 meters from the Wallraf-Richartz Museum and 300 meters from Museum Ludwig. The Romano-Germanic Museum and Cologne Philharmony are also nearby.
The average price to stay at here in December is pretty reasonable, considering the fantastic location and the comfort it offers. There might be a few dates when prices hike, but it's still competitive with other nearby hotels that charge much higher.
- Enjoy picturesque views of the famous Rhine river from the apartment
- At the heart of the city's nightlife with several restaurant options just downstairs, and many more top-rated eateries and pubs nearby
- Comfortable well-quipped apartment with friendly staff, suitable for short trips or longer stays
- Explore top attractions like Cologne Cathedral, Wallraf-Richartz Museum and Museum Ludwig within walking distance
- Elevator is rather old and cramped
- The kitchen can be more equipped, although requests can be made to the staff without extra charge
City Apartments in Köln am Rheingarten Review
Recommended! We received a friendly welcome. The rooms were modernly furnished and very clean and attractive. Located directly on the Rhine and in the old town, perfect for a city trip to Cologne. In the associated restaurant you can eat very well. The boss and his staff are super friendly and we felt very comfortable. We will be back definitely!!!
- H. Kapunkt
4. Motel One Köln-Neumarkt
Near The Angels’ Christmas Market, Heavenue Christmas Market, Nicholas’ Village Christmas Market.
- Convenient location in the heart of Cologne's Altstadt - Nord district
- Comfortable and soundproof rooms for a peaceful sleep
- On-site parking available for added convenience
- Relaxing shared lounge area with TV for socializing or unwinding
- Multilingual staff fluent in German and English for easy communication
If you want to visit Cologne without breaking the bank, the Motel One Köln-Neumarkt is a really attractive choice.
Yes, it doesn't offer the frills of more upscale hotels... and yes, sometimes the breakfast lounge doesn't have enough seats and you'd have to stand.. However, it's a comfortable, clean and welcoming place to rest your head after a day of sightseeing.
The rooms while compact, are very cozy - a bit like being in a bird's nest.
The hotel's staff will go above and beyond - taking the time to help with recommendations for nearby restaurants (even how to order food online) or offering a fork, knife, and plate for enjoying some local takeout...
The lobby, with its well-stocked bar and seating area, is a popular watering hole among guests all day long.
The biggest selling point is still undeniably its central location along Neumarkt. It's near major attractions and the shopping districts, making possible to explore Cologne on foot without ever stepping into the metro.
Moreover, it presents a welcoming environment for LGBTQIA+ guests due to its centrality between two gaybourhoods (neighborhoods frequented by LGBTQ+ people and has many businesses catering to the community).
- Excellent location for easy access to attractions and most Christmas markets
- Very wallet-friendly, especially given the central location (save on transport costs!)
- Best for fuss-free travelers who don't need the bells and whistles of hotels, and need a clean & comfy place to sleep
- Friendly and multilingual staff available 24/7
- Pets are welcome!
- Limited parking options
- Room size more suitable for solo travelers or couples, rather than groups
Motel One Köln-Neumarkt Review
On entrance to hotel, beautiful decor and very clean. Greeted by friendly receptionist - check-in was easy and hassle free. Room was again beautiful, large and very clean. Beds were comfy but didn't like the single duvet on the double bed, but that's being picky. Overall stay was EXCELLENT! Would highly recommend this hotel and when we come back to Cologne, we'll be staying again. Staff were very friendly and helpful at check-out giving us directions of places to see.
5. Park Avenue Apartments
Walking distance to Cathedral Christmas Market (10 mins), The Angels’ Christmas Market (10 mins), Nicholas’ Village Christmas Market (13 mins), House Elves’ Winter Fairytale Christmas Market (15 mins), Heavenue Christmas Market (15 mins) and Stadtgarten Christmas Market (17 mins).
- 5-star furnishings in a tranquil apartment that feels like home away from home
- Larger and more spacious than hotels, an ideal choice for traveling with family or in a group
- Easily access public transportation, supermarkets and restaurants around the corner
- For drivers, the convenient location near a parking garage is rare in the city center.
At Park Avenue Apartments, the hosts have thought of everything. The apartment is equipped with all the amenities you could ever need, like staying in a 5-star hotel, but with the added comfort of home.
You'll find top-notch amenities like streaming services, a well-equipped kitchen, and a comfortable living area with a large TV featuring Netflix.
Stylishly decorated, it won't feel out of place as a photoshoot location, honestly. After a long day of sightseeing and walking around the Christmas markets, it's where you'll want to be.
There's a nice terrace where you can unwind, which is a lovely spot for enjoying some downtime. And being on a quiet street, it provides a peaceful retreat in the heart of the city.
Plus, if you have a car or a family van, you're in luck as the apartment is conveniently located near a parking garage.
Location wise, it's simply a 10-minute walk from all the best attractions in Cologne. It hits the mark within walking distance to multiple Christmas markets in Cologne, including the smaller ones that are less-crowded but equally special.
For not just a comfortable, but luxurious, stay in Cologne's city center, Park Avenue Apartments may be worth a little splurging to pamper you and your loved ones.
- Classy and stylishly decorated in Instagram-able decor, like a home away from home
- Ideal for families or groups, with spacious dining and living area for maximum comfort
- Convenient central location allows easy access to most Christmas markets in Cologne
- Close to most attractions, yet located on a quiet street
- Fully equipped kitchen with stove, crockery, microwave, oven & dishwasher. Nespresso machine is a delightful addition
- No on-site gym or spa unlike luxury hotels
- No on-site staff, instead hosts are only available on WhatsApp and email
Park Avenue Apartments Review
A very classy & cozy apartment with comfy beds. We were amazed how the apartment was equipped with everything needed! The apartment really competes with 5 star hotels. The hosts are very welcoming, friendly and super professional. It is an ideal choice for families who are traveling by car or who have a family van as the apartment is located near a parking garage.
We were really had a wonderful and memorable stay!
6. CityClass Hotel am Dom
Near Cologne Cathedral Christmas Market and House Elves’ Fairytale Christmas Market (6 mins), and walking distance to The Angels’ Christmas Market (16 mins) and Cologne Harbour Christmas Market (16 mins).
- Mid-price hotel in a prime location in the Old Town, with great views of the Cathedral, and clean modern rooms
- Perfect for culture enthusiasts; museums, ancient landmarks and the the Cologne Philharmonic Hall within reach
- Surround yourself with centuries-old traditional brewery restaurants and shops just a stone's throw away
- Enjoy excellent service by staff described as "friendly and well-mannered" with helpful reception services available 24/7
- Hotel is located in a quiet area, with minimal noise reaching inside the rooms.
Nestled in the beautiful Old Town is CityClass Hotel am Dom, a few steps from the Cologne Cathedral and facing the Romano-Germanic Museum.
This classic hotel offers a balance between affordability and quality. It has stylish rooms (albeit small), modern amenities, and boasts an unparalleled location in Cologne for exploration.
Culture enthusiasts will be thrilled; museums galore await just an arm's reach away - namely the Ludwig Museum, the Roman-Germanic Museum, Museum for Applied Arts, and Wallraf Richartz Museum.
The shopping streets in Alter Markt and the Cologne Philharmonic Hall are also nearby.
Its proximity to Cologne Main Station (a 4 min walk) makes for seamless connections as well.
Most importantly, the hotel is right smack in the middle between the Cathedral Christmas Market and the House Elves’ Winter Fairytale Christmas Market!
They are both so near, you can practically hear Christmas carols the moment you step out of the hotel, like a scene out of the holiday movie.
From the House Elves’ Winter Fairytale Christmas Market, stroll towards the Chocolate Museum and you'll find yourself in the Cologne Harbour Christmas Market within minutes!
One thing most guests agree is the high-quality service: the hotel's staff are very helpful, often going out of their way to make guests feel comfortable as quickly as possible. Such as accommodating room requests and helping to safeguard luggage at the front desk.
Finally, there's something special about waking up to an unmatched view of the historic Cologne Cathedral— so request for a room with a view if you can!
For all these reasons, we're please to make CityClass Hotel am Dom our No. 2 choice.
- While not overly luxurious, rooms are stylish and clean, with essential amenities
- Unmatched convenience in terms of location; near popular cultural attractions and shopping areas in the heart of Cologne
- Easily access 3 of the most popular Christmas markets on foot
- Some room have windows facing the Cathedral, which make for a splendid view any time of the day.
- Enjoy a fuss-free stay with helpful hotel staff who strive to make your visit as smooth and comfortable as possible
- Limited parking options
- Some rooms have been described as small (even the twins and doubles), so those needing more space should opt for larger rooms
CityClass Hotel am Dom Review
I couldn't rave enough about this hotel. It is honestly wonderful. Not only is it great value for money but our stay here was exceptional. The rooms were very clean with air con and everything you needed. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The location meant we were right in the centre of Cologne and to top it off, we had a view of the cathedral. The beds, pillows and duvet felt luxurious and comfortable like sleeping in a pile of clouds. Thanks for a lovely stay.
- Stephanie Ward
7. Eden Hotel Früh am Dom
Near Cologne Cathedral Christmas Market and House Elves’ Fairytale Christmas Market, and walking distance to The Angels’ Christmas Market (16 mins) and Cologne Harbour Christmas Market (18 mins).
- Stay right beside 100-year-old brewery restaurant, Brauhaus Früh am Dom, and dine here to experience real Cologne hospitality
- Great for shopping, ideal starting point of popular shopping streets (Hohe Strasse, Schildergasse and Ehrenstraße)
- Art and cultural museums and the Cologne Cathedral within walking distance
- Ideal for solo, couple or business travelers who spend more time outside, with rooms in a minimalist style and basic amenities
If your main goal is to soak up the Cathedral Christmas Market's magic, you'll love the location of Eden Hotel Früh am Dom. It's practically within hugging distance of the Cologne Cathedral, so you can dive right into the festivities.
The hotel is designed for business travelers, such as conference attendees. The minimalistic rooms are comfortable, spacious, and equipped with basic amenities.
The beds are cozy, ensuring a good night's sleep. You'll find everything spotless and well-maintained. BUT don't expect air conditioning; they don't offer it here.
Right next door, there's the celebrated brewery restaurant, Brauhaus Früh am Dom. This is the place to dive into local cuisine and get in touch with real Cologne hospitality, as well as sample traditional Kölsch beer.
You're within a stone's throw of famous shopping streets like Hohe Strasse, Schildergasse, and Ehrenstraße. So, you can easily splurge and fill your bags without breaking a sweat.
- Convenient location in Cologne's Old Town, with no shortage of shopping and restaurant options within arm's reach
- See the majestic Cologne Cathedral from here, and walk to various art and cultural museums
- Reasonably priced rooms, according to guests
- Wheelchair accessible with amenities like a 24-hour front desk and bicycle rental nearby
- Certain frills are missing, like air-conditioning, refrigerator and room kettle
- No available parking on-site
- Wi-Fi can be a bit finicky, with occasional connection dropouts
Eden Hotel FRÜH am Dom Review
Best hotel throughout my 5 weeks stay in Europe (even better than the 4 star hotel in Paris). Excellent location, minutes walk to train, attractions, eateries, and shops.
The room is massive and clean with views of the Cologne Cathedral. Wished I could stay longer.
- Thi Nhung Tran
8. CityClass Hotel Alter Markt
Between Cologne Cathedral Christmas Market and House Elves’ Fairytale Christmas Market, and walking distance to The Angels’ Christmas Market (17 mins) and Cologne Harbour Christmas Market (16 mins).
- Party in the heart of Cologne's Old Market, dotted with hundreds of delightful restaurants, pubs, and cafes
- Within steps of the House Elves’ Winter Fairytale Christmas Market, and short stroll from the Cathedral Christmas Market
- Comfy, elegant interiors with daily complimentary water, refrigerator, satellite TV, a safe, minibar, roller shutters & sound insulated rooms
- Wheelchair accessibility and toilets with grab rails make rooms ideal for the elderly and disabled guests
- Pet-friendly (with ensure all members of your family are welcome!)
Living in the midst of the Old Market has its unique charms. At dawn, you can hear the distinct sounds of beer kegs being rolled along the cobblestone streets to the numerous restaurants and pubs in the area. After all, the locals in Cologne love their Kölsch beer!
CityClass Hotel Alter Markt is your best bet if you want to be part of the action in the bustling Old Market. It's one of the most historic and picturesque squares in the heart of Cologne, lined with the best cafes, restaurants, and beer gardens in Cologne.
It's also the ideal base to explore the city. Once you step out the door, you're only 300 meters from the iconic Cologne Cathedral.
500 meters away is the Cologne Central Station, giving you easy access to S-Bahn (city rail), regional trains, underground lines. Business travelers will enjoy the direct link to Köln Messe exhibition grounds.
You'll also be in the thick of the Christmas action. During the Christmas season, the Alter Markt transforms into a magical wonderland, with the House Elves’ Winter Fairytale Christmas Market.
Just a hop and a skip away is the Cathedral Christmas Market. And the Angels’ Christmas Market and Cologne Harbour Christmas Market are within a 20 minute's walk too.
You can get very comfortable in CityClass Hotel Alter Markt, as all rooms are thoughtfully designed with the little things that make a difference; a satellite TV, minibar, air conditioning, daily complimentary drinking water, and windows that can be opened for fresh air.
Even the rooms are sound-insulated for that precious good night's sleep.
Some say the rooms are a tad small, but honestly, that's a minor detail when you're out exploring the city most of the time. Plus, it keeps prices reasonable!
- Enjoy the local charm of the picturesque Alter Markt, filled with historic character, cobblestone streets and traditional architecture
- Hundreds of the best local restaurants, pubs and cafes within a stone's throw, including Peters Brauhaus & Brauhaus Sion
- Live in the heart of Cologne, near popular attractions such as Cologne Cathedral, the House Elves’ Winter Fairytale Christmas Market, the Cathedral Christmas Market and several museums
- Highly-rated for its comfortably furnished and well-equipped rooms
- Enjoy a satisfying breakfast buffet that's been described as "excellent, wide choice and top quality"
- Conveniently located just 500 meters from Cologne Central Station, providing easy access to transportation options within the city
- No on-site parking, although there's a nearby public parking garage
- Some noise from nearby street market and nightlife activities
- Certain rooms are small, so do make sure you check the size before booking
CityClass Hotel Alter Markt Review
Excellent hotel. Brilliant location. Staff very helpful. Sound proofing very good. We slept well and had a view of the cathedral from our room. Very close to the main train station as well as underground stops. Would stay here again without hesitation.
- Grainne Queenan
9. Hotel Mondial am Dom Cologne MGallery
Near Cologne Cathedral Christmas Market and House Elves’ Fairytale Christmas Market, walking distance to Cologne Harbour Christmas Market (17 mins) and Angels’ Christmas Market (19 mins).
- Rest well in a 4-star contemporary hotel in Cologne's Altstadt-Nord neighborhood, close to the heart of the action
- Enjoy close proximity to the scenic Rhine river, perfect for refreshing walks, and steps from the famous Hohenzollern Bridge
- Within 5 minutes' walk to Cologne Cathedral Christmas Market and House Elves’ Fairytale Christmas Market
- Guests enjoy the on-site parking, which makes driving in Cologne a breeze
First things first - rooms in Hotel Mondial am Dom have a glass window between the bathroom and bedroom, which doesn't offer much privacy... BUT if you can get past this detail, then it's an exceptional place to stay!
This 4-star hotel is young, stylish and chic, unlike the older hotels on this list, which is appealing if you're looking for a room with a more contemporary feel.
Being steps away from the Rhine River and Hohenzollern Bridge creates quite a romantic vibe. Think leisurely walks along the riverbanks, and sipping hot drinks at a riverside cafe.
Another big plus is its unbeatable location. It's right in the heart of everything - practically at the doorstep of the Cologne Cathedral, the Kölner Philharmonie and Museum Ludwig. Not to mention, you can reach the charming Old Town in just a few minutes' walk.
The staff here are super helpful and down-to-earth. Whether you need restaurant recommendations or tips for itinerary, they've got your back. When the check-in queue gets too long, I hear they even put out beers or ice-cream for everyone waiting.
Another convenience is the on-site parking - crucial for if you have your own vehicle whether you're traveling solo or with family.
If you need to rest your tired feet, the hotel has a full spa with a sauna, steam room and a relaxation room. But don't expect anything too over the top.
You can see the Cologne Cathedral from the windows of the hotel's Brauhaus restaurant, while you enjoy a traditional regional menu with dishes like Himmel un ääd, sausages, steaks, and delightful desserts. 
- Proximity to the Rhine river and popular attractions like Cologne Cathedral, Old Town & Museum Ludwig
- Perfect if you drive as there's convenient on-site parking lots
- Rooms are modern and cozy, ticking all the right boxes
- Relaxing full-suite spa for those who need pampering after a long day
- A short walk away from Cologne’s main railway station making it easy to explore this stunning city
- Two dining options, including a restaurant serving traditional dishes and a café/deli
- Gym is quite small with limited equipment
- Glass window between toilets and bedrooms may not be suitable for some people
Hotel Mondial am Dom Review
Magical, best hotel I've ever stayed in.
Spotless, breakfast seamless, really friendly helpful staff. Super central and out the door to a beautiful, magical Christmas market and many many traditional pubs, already planning my return.
- Linda B
10. MAISON MARSIL - Boutique Hotel Köln
Near Heavenue Christmas Market, Nicholas’ Village Christmas Market and The Angels’ Christmas Market, walking distance to Stadtgarten Christmas Market (12 mins).
- Enjoy a warm and inviting boutique hotel, that feels like staying with a friend
- Wake up to homemade vegetarian breakfast, featuring organic produce & freshly-made juices
- Rest in charming, luxuriously decorated rooms with options for a private balcony
- Situated in the heart of Cologne's Old Town, just a short walk away from the Cologne Cathedral, the River Rhine, and the Neumarkt Station
- Two convenient multi-story carparks just a short walk away
Housed in a building that boasts over 100 years of history, MAISON MARSIL - Boutique Hotel Köln exudes a lot of character.
The boutique hotel comes alive as you step inside. The wooden floors, aged over a century, can be a bit creaky, allowing sounds to travel between rooms. However, I think this adds to the character of the place.
It's a small, family-run establishment that prides itself on offering a different kind of hospitality. Staying here feels like staying at a friend's.
The rooms, adorned with bright colors and pastel shades, look like they come straight from a magazine. You'll love how spacious and well-equipped they are, for a truly restful stay.
The hotel's vegetarian breakfast is a highlight. I particularly love the freshly scrambled eggs, which adds a personal touch. Homemade pancakes and freshly-squeezed orange juice were lovely too!
And if you're planning to explore the city extensively, the convenience here is undeniable.
The hotel is just 1 km from the River Rhine and a short walk away from the Cologne Cathedral and Old Town. Neumarkt Underground Station is a mere 300 meters from the hotel.
Indeed, within a leisurely walk of under 12 mins, you will reach four enchanting Christmas markets: the captivating Nicholas’ Village Christmas Market, the delightful Stadtgarten Christmas Market, the one-of-a-kind Heavenue, and The Angels’ Christmas Market.
If you travel with a car, two multi-storey car parks, Lungengasse and Schafenstrasse, are conveniently located just a 2-minute walk from the hotel, offering secure parking at a rate of 18-22 EUR for 24 hours.
- Warm, friendly and accommodating staff, who strive hard to add a personal touch to your stay
- Delicious, hot homemade breakfast a nice touch to the start of your day
- Stylish rooms with charming hardwood floors that remind you of the building's ancient heritage
- Exceptionally well-situated between several Christmas markets in Cologne under 12 mins
- Owing to the building's age, the floors can be creaky and sounds may travel between rooms
- The hotel does appear slightly dated and shabby, but which I think adds to its charms
MAISON MARSIL - Boutique Hotel Köln Review
Excellent experience. Great room, great central location, delicious fresh breakfast and cozy ambience. The hotel staff are kind and helpful. They even helped me find an EU converter late one night when no stores were open and I had left my converter at another location. Truly a “home away from home!”
- Kelsey Paschich
Considerations for Choosing a Hotel
Proximity to Christmas Markets
With the exception of Stadtgarten Christmas Market, the Christmas Markets are clustered in 2 main areas - the Old Town area and the Neumarkt area.
Hence, our recommendations are focused on these 2 areas.
Most hotels on this list are within walking distance to all the Christmas markets, including the one at Stadtgarten.
With so many travelers flocking to the city during this festive season, popular hotels near the Christmas markets can quickly fill up, especially around the cathedral and the Old Town.
To ensure you get your desired accommodation at the best price, I strongly recommend that you book in advance! Checking for available dates and rooms early on will help you avoid disappointment and allow you to plan your trip with confidence.
It's important to consider your budget when choosing where to stay, as the average price per night at these hotels is around $200, but keep in mind that prices can go up quite drastically the nearer you are to the coveted dates, such as Fridays and the week leading up to December 25th.
I like booking my hotels through platforms that give me a bit of leeway if there's a last minute cancellation. There are a handful of such platforms, but the one I use is Booking.com - for their free cancellation policy and the reliable customer service I've gotten from them so far.
Conclusion: Best Cologne Hotels Near Christmas Markets
When planning a trip to the Cologne Christmas Market, choosing the right hotel is essential for a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Two highly recommended options are Excelsior Hotel Ernst am Dom (for the main markets) and Steigenberger Hotel Köln (for the "alternative" markets).
With their prime locations, friendly staff, and excellent amenities, these hotels offer everything you need for a memorable visit. Don't miss out on the chance to book your stay at these fantastic hotels and make the most of your time at the Cologne Christmas Market!
1. How close are the best hotels to Cologne Christmas Market?
The best hotels near Cologne Christmas Market are located within walking distance, so you can easily explore the market and its attractions.
2. Do these hotels offer parking facilities?
Yes, many of the best hotels near Cologne Christmas Market provide or are near parking facilities for guests, ensuring convenient access to your accommodation.
3. Are these hotels suitable for families with children?
Absolutely! The best hotels near Cologne Christmas Market offer family-friendly amenities such as spacious rooms, cribs, and even kids' clubs to ensure a comfortable stay for families.
4. Can I expect good dining options at these hotels?
Yes, the best hotels near Cologne Christmas Market boast excellent dining options ranging from on-site restaurants serving international cuisine to cozy cafes offering local specialties.
5. Is it necessary to book in advance due to high demand during the market season?
Due to high demand during the market season, it is recommended to book your hotel in advance to secure your preferred accommodations nearby Cologne Christmas Market.
1: Genuss | Restaurant Mondial 1516 | Köln, retrieved from https://www.mondial1516.com/